Set in the restored, historic New Zealand Railways Shipping Office, the Boatshed’s building dates back to 1869-78 and was originally used as a store. In 1936 it was bought by Frank G. Duncan, a Dunedin lawyer, and moved from central Queenstown to its current location on the Frankton waterfront.
Over the years the building and associated Boat Shed fell into disrepair, until 2011 when volunteers of the Wakatipu Community Maritime Preservation Society undertook an $800,000 restoration project. The society’s efforts were recognised when it won the Heritage and Environment award in the 2012 TrustPower Queenstown Lakes District Community Awards. The building were officially opened by Prime Minister John Key on 1 March 2013.
Now housing the Boatshed Cafe & Bistro, run by Jane Shaw, who also owns Provisions Cafe in Arrowtown, we welcome you for coffee, drinks and lunch by the lake!
The original New Zealand Railways Shipping Office sign was found in the Boat Shed during renovations, upside down and being used as a workbench. Now it hangs in the Cafe as a reminder of Frankton Marina’s heritage and history.
Following the restoration of the Boatshed and Railways ticketing office, Jane Shaw opened the Boatshed café & bistro in December 2012. This is the sister café to her other café, Provisions of Arrowtown which also operates in a historic building, Romans cottage which was a goldminers cottage dating back to the 1870’s gold rush in Arrowtown. Jane also started Provisions of Central Otago, a chutney and jam manufacturing business in Old Cromwell Town in 2003 and also began the first farmers market in Central Otago in 2004.